The Pre-Medical Honor Society (PMHS) is a student organization in which pre-medical students who have achieved academic excellence can further their understanding of the study and practice of medicine through various opportunities made available to our members. As the only pre-medical organization directly sponsored by the College of Letters and Science on campus, PMHS is committed to supporting the diversity of the student body and promoting equal opportunity in medicine and higher education. This commitment furthers our mission to serve the increasingly diverse population of California and the nation. Our unique perspectives, talents, experiences and contributions as PMHS students are the foundation and drivers of our excellence. Diversity is critical to promoting lively intellectual exchange and the variety of ideas and perspectives essential to advancing higher education and medicine. We celebrate the multiple dimensions of diversity that each member of PMHS offers, including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic circumstance, national origin, geographic background, immigration status, ability and disability, religious belief, and age. PMHS students contribute to the global pool of future medical professionals, thus high value is placed on achieving a representative student body within our organization to support our diverse communities.
Each year we have a number of events specially developed for Cal pre-medical students. Most of our events are exclusive to members, though there are a few open to all UC Berkeley pre-meds. Member-only benefits include volunteering events, externships, shadowing opportunities, medical school tours, professor luncheons, and banquets. Our strong internal structure allows members to learn from upperclassmen who are happy and willing to give valuable guidance on most anything – ranging from joining a research lab to navigating the medical school application process.
We are honored to be sponsored by the following faculty:
- Dr. George Rutherford, Head Advisor – UC Berkeley School of Public Health
- Dr. Caroline Kane, Faculty Advisor – UC Berkeley Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
- Dr. Stanley P.L. Leong, Clinical Advisor – UCSF
- Dr. Patti Meyer, Career Center Advisor – UC Berkeley
- Dr. Alexander V. Nichols, Science Advisor – UC Berkeley Department of Molecular and Cell Biology
- Dr. S. Leonard Syme, Science Advisor – UC Berkeley School of Public Health
- Dr. Gunther S. Stent, Former Chair of the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology – UC Berkeley
- Dr. Glenn T. Seaborg, Posthumous Sponsor, Department of Chemistry – UC Berkeley
- Dr. Melvin Calvin, Posthumous Sponsor, Department of Chemistry – UC Berkeley
We would like to thank The Princeton Review for supporting our endeavors towards graduate and medical school. Learn more about MCAT and GRE courses, Med School Admissions, and how to boost your GPA with Homework Help at PrincetonReview.com.